Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Creating a Legacy

We spent this weekend in Dubuque IA celebrating Tom’s Grammy’s 90th birthday – SO, SO much fun!  We celebrated Grampy’s 90th in Florida in January 2008, but they aren’t as mobile as they were then, so we all traveled to them for this celebration!   Tom’s grandparents are SO fun –they’ve been married 66 years, traveled all over the world together (like even kayaking in Antarctica), raised 4 kids and until last year, they still lived in the home that they built when their kids were young.  (Last year they moved into an independent/assisted living type apartment.) 
Spending time with them this weekend got me really thinking about the legacy I want to leave—and realizing what an amazing legacy his grandparents have created.
I couldn’t find an electronic copy of their wedding picture – but here are Tom’s grandparents with their first child.
 Ingrid and Clark, Clark Jr. and Jet  -  North Stratford
And here’s the picture I took last weekend – seriously, I hope I look this good at 90!
IMG_8285
And here are their 4 kids – then and now….
Cynthia, Ann, Andrew, Clark  -  DubuqueIMG_8275
And after 66 years of marriage and raising 4 children – they get to enjoy 6 grandkids (1 wasn’t able to make it) and 10 great grandbabies (The 1 grandson who couldn’t make it has twin 13 month old boys). 
IMG_8280
IMG_8268
I imagine that Grammy had days when she yelled at her kids, maybe crabbed at her hubby, wanted to pull her hair out, wanted to throw in the towel….you know some of THOSE days that we all know all to well.  But she and Grampy stayed the course – they stayed committed to each other and to the daunting task of parenthood….and 66 years later, what an amazing story they have!  And what a sweet, sweet reminder of the bigger story, the bigger picture that can be all to difficult to see when you’re “stuck” in the day to day job of changing diapers, feeding babies, breaking up fights, cooking, cleaning and washing the 17th load of laundry. Smile

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog. How wonderful that those who have gone before us have stayed the course and left a legacy. That is a charge to us all as well. We cannot drop the baton and break the legacy. Blessings to you, Natalie. Those baby and toddler days take on a golden hue as they age. Thanks for this post! Sandi Ericson

    ReplyDelete